My Photo
Name:

Oft misunderstood soul. Shy, reserved, likes to stay in the background, but inevitably mistaken as not shy, extrovert etc. Originally meant to be a culinary blog, but in due course discovered man does not live on cake alone..hence the waffle.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

When Old Friends Remarry

He is a widower, she a widow. Both have 2 boys. He's Malaysian, she Singaporean. Now what are the odds of these two people hooking up? Oh well, as I said before, a measure of how close a friend is, is how far you are willing to travel to attend their wedding. Since this one was in Singapore, it was kinda a no brainer, that I had to be there. Only hitch was, the wedding dinner, which was to be at Raffles Hotel, was on Sunday night, whereas the church wedding and luncheon on Saturday morning. Of course, being the good Christians that we are, (cough choke), I guess our presence at the church ceremony is more important than being seen at the Raffles. So, it was a painful choice I had to make. Staying on for the dinner would mean staying an additional TWO nights. Which will make it 3 nights in Singapore, which is a long stay. Very Long.

The ceremony was held in the Chapel of the Trinity Theological College, in Upper Bukit Timah Road. I figured that everything in Singapore is within 10 minutes of each other, by cab, so took a leisurely breakfast (near where I was squatting, courtesy of good friend, in UE 2, Clemenceau Ave), trying to recover somewhat from a night out with friends the night before. (nothing that is bloggable here).

The ceremony is singularly one of the nicest, and most memorable I've attended thus far. The bride was accompanied by her two sons, down the aisle, and she stopped halfway. The groom started crooning "My One and Only Love". Now, usually I would cringe, and find it exceedingly tacky that a groom would do this, but in this particular case, I found it exceedingly moving instead. It helped that the groom's voice wasn't like William Hung's. Then he walked down the aisle, and greeted the bride, rested her from her two boys, and walked back up the aisle towards the altar. I love ceremonies when the couple kneel. They knelt at some point. My ideal wedding is that of Maria to Captain Von Trapp, in the Salzburg Cathedral. Long aisle, beautiful church, kneel, stand, walk, kneel.....

I digress. And the presentations....now, I've heard some pretty awful presentations at weddings, but I have to say, this was a talented crew on board. The soloist who played the piano at the same time, and the duet-ists who gave a pretty good rendition of "Household of Faith", a difficult duet actually.


A lovely wedding. God bless you both.







The younger crowd.

4 Comments:

Blogger P's said...

is the groom's surname Tan?? coz his son looks like my ex-classmate stephen! :P

small world..:> good to have you back..

4:26 PM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

aiyo, i suddenly feel very old. yup. stephen's dad.

3:27 PM  
Blogger boo_licious said...

That's so sweet - esp the singing to her part in the church.

By the way, I have request - how's the baby? Would love to see a pix of baby in progress.

5:07 AM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

boo, yar, it was such a sweet thing, him serenading her. tastefully done too, not like some karaoke finalists wannabes.

baby pix...yup, i'll post some soon. no digital camera, parents borrowed it for their holiday.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home