My Photo
Name:

Oft misunderstood soul. Shy, reserved, likes to stay in the background, but inevitably mistaken as not shy, extrovert etc. Originally meant to be a culinary blog, but in due course discovered man does not live on cake alone..hence the waffle.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Grease Is The Word


Of course, when I first heard that Grease was coming to town, I was completedly indifferent, as I had seen a production in Melbourne before that was err.... put it this way, it gives some of our local crap a run for its money. (eg the recent Pygmalion, etc). But when the members of the distinguished Cheese Platter mooted the idea, my heart kinda fluttered a little, because, to get a "date" with these people is almost as impossible as meeting John Travolta or Olivia. So, the idea of spending an evening with them and others, did seem like a pleasant alternative to Thursday night shopping in Tesco. And with that affirmative answer, in retrospect, I see the wings on my dollar notes flapping.

After blowing RM170 on tickets, dinner had to be a semi spartan affair, in the KLCC food courts. I usually enter KLCC from the Lorong Kuda end, and know exactly where to park and which escalator to take, when I go for the MPO. This time, because I was running late, I took the nearest entrance, which was off Jln P.Ramlee, and I must have spent 10 minutes going around the deepest basement looking for a familiar spot. Of course, what I didn't realise was that I usually parked on a different level, so nothing looked familiar. Anyway, despite being almost last at the food court, I finished my food first, as I was ravenously hungry.

The anticipation built up as we traipsed through the underpass in KLCC leading towards the KL Convention Centre. I discoverd that "Queen of Sorr" is soooo easily embarrased. Just do a jig or sing to her in public and she'll flee you like you have the bubonic plague. It was with great delight, therefore, to embarrass her by suddenly bursting into song and dance in that KLCC underpass. The others, namely Duke Onesto, KO3, Princess Pariah, Principessa Oliva, Lady Gray watched in mild amusement as the Queen turned a darker shade of scarlet.

The foyer area of the Plenary hall was Arctic conditions, I half expected so see some escaped penguins from neighbouring Aquaria. Anyway, we trooped in, after numerous loo breaks, to our seats which were like 3 kms from the stage. The plenary hall is humoungous. Not a suitable venue for musicals, because its too huge.

Anyway, from the start, the speakers were experiencing some kind of delay, ie, front speakers and rear speakers not in sync, which was terrible, for it resulted in some kinda shockingly annoying echo. Didn't help when the broads came on in their high pitched falsettos. Lady Gray who was sitting next to me was equally irritated. I had to resist the urge to stand up midway and go and report the matter. But fortunately, miraculously, almost, toward the end of THOSE MAGIC CHANGES, they rectified the mike. (I think it was then). Having ruined the first 20 minutes, you'd have expected a marked improvement. Mooning was good. Freddy My Love was good. Greased Lightning was crap. Completely so no oooomph. Might be suitable for a 80s disco. (as in a disco for 80 year olds). The first half was only an hour. We spent the entire intermission bitching about how bad it was. KO3 even fell asleep, wasting a good RM85.

But the worse was yet to come. The 2nd half did nothing to redeem itself, except for Beauty School Drop Out, which was a new take, coz the teen angel was sung by this black woman, gospel style, which was excellent. The highlight of the entire show. Hopeless Devoted to you was HOPELESS. One of my favourite songs, It's Raining On Prom Night, wasn't featured. Rizzo's There Are Worse Things I could Do, well, true, there were worse songs that were sung, so it wasnt the worst. The "I got chills, in my direction", was prophetic, as it sent chills down our spine. I am amazed at how bad the quality of singing was.

Well, if you are reading this, and are contemplating going for the musical, PERISH all thought. You will derive more entertainment with your money just by flapping it around in front of your face.
The stage at the Plenary Hall.



This is us posing for a groupie pic after the show. Forgot to do the thumbs down sign.


PS: I've started blogging about gym again on http://fatboybakesatgym.blogpsot.com

9 Comments:

Blogger jesscet said...

haha, reading this post of your marvellous description of the show is far more entertaining than being there watching it! 'nuff said!

11:03 PM  
Blogger PickYin said...

i wasted RM105 on it. the sound system sucks for such a posh 'convention center'. klpac is much better.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey CY - we actually won 'free' tixs to the show and Dominic really felt that if we had indeed spent money, we would have felt ripped off! There was just no chemistry between the cast... sigh... Saturday Nite Fever was way better.

Venetia

6:28 PM  
Blogger jesscet said...

oh forgot to add.. why blur the faces ah? we are not good (looking) enough to be on your blog is it? ;)

12:48 AM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

pick yin: yar, sucks big time.

venetia: well, LUCKY YOU, right, got free ticks. luckily wife didnt go, otherwise even more heart sick.

jesscet: i blurred out the pic because you so gorgeous mah, i didnt want people to start stalking you.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went for the show too and it was total CRAP!! was dying to watch the orginal show after just to make up for it..

12:02 PM  
Blogger shades said...

Phew... thought of watching it with shades gf before....

Yeah, I agree it's quite entertaining to read your review.

fatboyreviews.blogspot.com perhaps?

12:58 PM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

shades, yar, i think the RM400 or so, (the cost of two undiscounted tickets, mid range), could have been put to much much better use.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was offered free tickets but now after so many unfavourable comments, I think it would have been a painful waste of time!

Hooray! Can now post comments! Thanks FB!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home