My Photo
Name:

Oft misunderstood soul. Shy, reserved, likes to stay in the background, but inevitably mistaken as not shy, extrovert etc. Originally meant to be a culinary blog, but in due course discovered man does not live on cake alone..hence the waffle.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Yay, Superman Returns!!!!


I am unashamed to admit that I am an ARDENT fan of superman. To me, he personifies everything that is good, and pure, and he doesn't have that whole baggage that other superheroes carry around with them. Batman is bordering psychopath, Spiderman, well, blames himself for his Uncle Ben's death, and is only an accidental hero, Wonder Woman was a chick in love, chasing after a man in mortal land, Hulk.....well, not even in the same league, then the Fantastic Four fellows....

Frankly, I was a bit wary about the movie, as I had gotten a text from friend saying Superman was a waste of time. What do these kids know, they didn't grow up with this iconic role model. All they had were the power puff girls and Mr Bean. Did they go through the life and times of the Man of Steel, from his death by Doomsday and his subsequent marriage to that trollop, Lois. I think he deserves so much better. But anyway, the movie storyline, apart from the Origins from Krypton, I think do not follow the DC comic strips.

I remember back in 1978, or 79 it must have been, when Christopher Reeve was Superman, and how he turned the world backwards to save Ms Lane from that earthquake at hoover dam. Honestly, she's quite the klutz isn't she, getting into scrapes only possible for Lois Lane. Who walks into a suspicious looking luxury yacht with no invitation, leaves her cellphone in her car, and brings along her 5 year old kid??? Who????

Brandon Routh bears an uncanny resemblance to the young Christopher Reeve, with that likeable, trustworthy look. Unlike actors like Tom Cruise, or Brad Pitt, who look so full of themselves. Brandon looks like a down to earth but yet incredibly good looking chap, and really, perfectly cast for the role. Granted, there were some cheesy moments in the movie, in the Lois - Supes love dances, but ah, the nostalgia....I'm so glad they kept the John Williams theme, and even the "Can You Read My Mind"...... Kevin Spacey was great as Lex Luthor, then again, give him any role and he'll shine. Actually, I quite liked this Lois. (Kate Bosworth). Didn't seem quite so helpless.

So, to that young kid who sms-ed me that it was a "waste of time", may you rust in peace. Superman, YOU THE MAN!!!!


2 Comments:

Blogger Kooky Kwerks said...

I agree with you whole-heartedly! Watched Superman on Monday and it was just freaking awesome....Some friends told me they thought it was too feel-good, like, why does Superman always triumph in the end?- but hey, I love a feel-good story! Superman's my hero, man...

5:44 PM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

hear ye hear ye...
yup, of course good must prevail ma, otherwise where got hope for mankind hor.
was telling ur bff that i shed a tear or two when reading the comics when supes DIED...killed by doomsday.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home