My Photo
Name:

Oft misunderstood soul. Shy, reserved, likes to stay in the background, but inevitably mistaken as not shy, extrovert etc. Originally meant to be a culinary blog, but in due course discovered man does not live on cake alone..hence the waffle.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Tiger Tiger Burning Bright


Many years ago, when I was a young impressionable year 12 student, naive and innocent, a certain gentleman, who was a defacto mentor in my cell group, gave me this advice, which resounds in my mind till today. He said, "Fatboy[sic], make sure you study HARD for your HSC, because it will determine which university you go to, but once you're in university, you can take it easy, just study enough to pass". Which I thought was brilliant advice, until it dawned on me, that all the filthy rich amongst us were mainly commerce and econs graduates. In those days, commerce and econs were the easy courses to get into. Engineering, on the other hand, wasn't so hard to enter, but was a major slog, with 40 contact hours per week, as opposed to what? 10 hours the commerce students had? And who's raking in the money now? Who???

So, in retrospect, it was BAD advice. He should've just said, take it easy, both for HSC AND univeristy. That way, I would have failed to get into engineering, and would probably be swimming in wealth now.

Anyway, that self same gentleman, was in town with his lovely wife, (aka Mr & Mrs Tiger Chin), so of course, the least I could do is to host a dinner party for imparting such stellar words of wisdom so many years ago.

As Tiger himself hails from the noble profession of Hippocrates, most of his contemporaries here are also in a similar league. I have never been in the presence of so many intellectual luminaries before...I must have single handedly brought down the average IQ of the entire room.







Anyway, the menu is posted above. It was an interesting crowd, but I can safely say, all older than I, as they were from Tiger's vintage. So, for a change, I was the baby in the group once again. Made the durian poppy seed cake, with durian cream, and flourless chocolate cakes with molten centres for dessert.....

Mrs Tiger Chin gave me this dazzling array of silicone bakeware, which is absolutely fabulous. Thanks soooo much, I am genuinely thrilled to bits.

It was very nice catching up with you guys, and hope you had a good time. Hope the food was up to scratch as well. And dessert.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

kindly enlighten - what is "silicone" bakeware? KSL

10:31 PM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

silicone bakeware are baking pans, muffin pans etc made from silicone. its a marvel to use, coz u dont have to grease it, and the cakes/muffins pop out easily. ikea used to sell them, but no more...and i didnt have the foresight then to buy some.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

ooo... silicone bakeware! i want! i want!!

(ya, i too regret not getting from ikea whilst they were selling them...)

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the silicone bakewares sold here are way too expensive. i bought a whole set comprising of 8 different kinds of trays for only USD 49.

10:24 AM  
Blogger fatboybakes said...

actually, when they were selling it in ikea, it was quite reasonable...i think the muffin tray was about RM35...but the choice was limited, and being so suaku, i was thinking, plastic ah? won't melt meh? i'm not sure about the heat conducting capabilities though. the cakes i've baked in my other smaller silicon cake pan, seems to have a harder crust.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hadn't noticed a harder crust, but mind you, I don't bake enough to notice such incidentals... Thank you so much for a lovely dinner. Great food, great company, great wine, great location. The poppyseed durian cake is to die for... and now I know scila and I were on the right track with out molten lavas. Just got to heat it up... esp when its a cold day!
MrsTiger

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home